Monday, November 4, 2013

Ma raison d'être

For the past few years, like the Hebrews of Old, I have been lost in the wilderness, wondering if I’d ever find my land of milk and honey.  But now, I see on the horizon a renewal of mind, where belief in myself is once again real and true.  Like Julia Child who found joy in food and a life’s purpose in cooking, I too am about to take a leap of faith in the culinary arts.

A couple of years ago, after being unceremoniously downsized, needing a lift out of the doldrums, I invited a handful of friends and threw a dinner party.  I opened up my copy of Julia Child’s  “Mastering the Art of French Cooking,” and spent the good afternoon making coq au vin and haricots verts à la provençale.  The whole time while I was cooking, I got blissfully lost in the tasks at hand and reveled in the deep comforting flavors that came out from only a handful of common ingredients.  I felt proud that my hands were creating these dishes, which were in a constant refrain heard around my dinner table “yum!”

However, there was an important lesson from cooking that I have only now begun to accept and apply: cooking is transformative.  For instance, an egg can be transformed into a tender and creamy omelette, a head of napa cabbage into a tangy and lip-smacking kimchi.  So, I asked myself, “why can’t I change my life’s path, follow my bliss and this source of pride, and cook?”  It’s true that following a path of passion isn’t necessarily the easiest way to go.  But it’s only by a trial by fire and a test of time—which I am ready to undergo—that my life can be transformed and fulfilled.

I want to learn the fundamentals and the theories of culinary arts.  I want to apprentice under any of the best chefs in the world, like René Redzepi of Noma, the Roca brothers of El Celler de Can Roca, Ferran Adrià of elBulli fame, César Ramirez of Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, Jean-Georges Vongerichten of Jean-Georges and the Kimchi Chronicles, Dan Barber of Blue Hill, just to name a few.  I want to develop and refine my culinary voice.  I want to engage my entrepreneurial spirit and open up a restaurant/business. 


It took me a while, but there out on the horizon I finally found my corner of the sky.  I believe I am only limited by my own ambition and imagination to get myself there.  With the huge assist I know I can get from the International Culinary Center, I make my first giant step!

No comments:

Post a Comment